Custom fields – Project management tailored to the company’s needs
As a manager you can customize the system to your team requirements by adding fields to tasks,
This will allow team members to save more information on each new task.
Custom fields enable us to save information in a more structured way that allows easier access, filtering and sorting of tasks.
Define Custom Fields
We can use the “Custom Fields” button on the task screen:
Another option is to open the “Admin” page and click on the “Custom Fields” tab.
For example, a construction company can add “Address” and “Building” and “Department” fields
The fields will appear in table and in new and an existing task:
And on mobile apps:
- On the Task screen, you can open a new task window (or an existing task) and then open the Custom Fields screen to see changes in fields update in new task window.
Custom Fields Types
There are several options to set the fields according to the team requirements.
1. Text field:
Allows you write a value in the form of free text.
2. Number field:
In this field you can save any numeric value, for example: hours, people, budget.
You will get calculation of Sum, Average, Maximum, Minimum and Count of the values in this field.
For example, for a budget we will get the sum of the project budget at the bottom of the table:
Another click will show the average and the rest of the calculations.
You can add Units to this field, for example: $, %, hours…
We can click on “Edit Field” at the bottom of the table:
Click on the field options:
And add units:
3. Selection field:
Allows you to select a value from a fixed list
We can set a fixed list by clicking “List” in the Custom Fields window
This list will be displayed to employees when selecting a field value:
In the Custom Fields window in “List” of a field, the options in the list can be updated:
– The list order can be changed by clicking the drag icon (before the option name) and dragging the option.
– The option name can be changed by clicking on the name.
– An option can be deleted by pressing X, deleted option cannot be restored.
4. Multiple selection field:
Like a selection field, multiple selection allows selecting an option from a fixed list. But allows selection of multiple values for one field.
5. Phone number field:
In this field you can save a phone number and a display text for this number
(for example a client name).
Clicking on the phone number will open the option to call the number in the mobile app or from the browser.
6. Email address field:
In this field you can save an email address and a display text for this email
(for example a company name).
Clicking on the email will open the option to send an email in the mobile app or from the browser.
7. Link field:
In this field you can save a link to a web page and a display text for this link
(for example a company name).
Clicking on the link will open the web page in the mobile or from the browser on your PC.
8. Checkbox field:
will be displayed as checkbox option:
Working with colors
Colors help employees see the information in a visual and clear way.
As a manager you can customize the system to your requirements and mark different topics in different colors.
We can use colors to mark different values in the Browser or Mobile app:
Table View – Setting the order of fields and the column widths
The fields we set will be displayed in a new task and existing task, in the browser and on the mobile.
You can display the fields in the table by checking “In Table”
– We can set the order of columns in the table and in task details by dragging the field with the drag icon (before the name) on custom fields window.
– You can also click “View All” to get the full list of fields including the fixed fields and thus we can determine the order of all columns and determine whether the fixed fields will be displayed in the table.
– The field name can be updated by clicking the name in the Custom Fields window.
– In the tasks table, the width of columns can be set by dragging the field name border:
Mobile table display, mandatory field, and field deletion
– The values of the fields can also be displayed on the mobile app table.
– “Mandatory field” will determine that a task cannot be opened or updated without a value in this field, on mobile and in the browser.
– “Remove field” will delete the field from all projects in the company (mobile and browser), it is not possible to restore a deleted field.
Define fields for a specific project
You can choose to display a field only for certain projects and not for all projects in the company.
– The field will only be displayed on tasks that belong to the project, including the mobile apps.
– When we are in a project and set a new custom field – this field will automatically be set for this project only, it can be changed in the custom fields window.
– In custom fields window, a field that does not belong to the current project will be marked in gray, if we want to add it to the project, we can click on the field name.
– In addition to selecting a project from the list of projects, we can add or remove a field from a project by clicking on more options “…” and check or uncheck the “View in current project”
– It is important to note that removing a field from a specific project does not delete the field, the field will not be displayed in the tasks of that project, as opposed to “Remove field” that deletes the field from all projects.
Sort and search by custom field
– The tasks table can be sorted by a custom field by clicking the field name in the task table header.
– Searching for values will also search for the values of the custom fields.
For example, if we search for the word “Sales,” this task show in the search results:
. – We can be more accurate in searching by defining the field we want to search,
Other tasks that are not selected as “Sales” in the “Department” field can appear in the search because the word “Sales” can appear in the description or task title.
– To search in a specific field, use two equal signs “==” between the field name and the value, for example:
– It’s possible to search in multiple fields, for example if we only want to display tasks with a “Sales” value in “Department” field and a “New York” value in the “Address” field, we can search as follows, using “&&”
– You can search and filter for unlimited number of values in the different fields.
– In addition, you can also search for free text that appears in the title or task description along with the values in the fields, for example we will search for the number 2001 for all tasks that have the value “Sales” in the “Department” field, by adding “&&” with the last combination without the field name and without “==”
Permissions and additional information
– Only Admin users can add and update custom fields.
– Only premium customers can add custom fields.
We hope this article was helpful.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions [email protected]